Tres Leches is one of those cakes I hope to see when they bring me the dessert menu. When it's good, it's sooo good. In that respect, it reminds me of creme brulee: too often it is an eggy custard, but when it is perfect, it is one of the best, most exquisite desserts around. With tres leches, it can be too sweet, too boring, too... rough? But if you're lucky, the cake will be creamy, milky, mildly sweet and with a naughty hint of rum. I've found a lovely recipe in Bon Appetit a few years ago and after tweaking it this way and that I got the cake that works well for me. I like that fact that it is covered in meringue rather than whipped cream - really, who doesn't like meringue?
I hope you'll enjoy.
Oh, yes, I should mention some other classic American cake I've written about in this blog: carrot cake, cheesecake, upside down plum cake (now, that one was very popular with the readers!), and black bottom pie. Yes, yes, pastel de tres leches has not been invented in the US - but I think it is now fully American :).
Tres Leches
For cake:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
4 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
For milk and rum syrup:
1 12-oz can evaporated milk
1 14-oz can condensed milk
1 1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons dark rum
For meringue:
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
raspberries for serving if desired
Bake cake:
Preheat oven to 350F (180C). Grease or spray 10-in (25 cm) pan at least 2 in (5 cm) deep. Sift flour with baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, whip egg whites until frothy. Gradually add sugar, whip to stiff peaks. Add egg yolks one at a time, then, alternating, add flour mixture and milk, 1/3 at a time, taking care not to deflate the batter. Bake about 40 min, until the top of the cake is springy and the sides start separating from the pan. Cool completely on rack.
Make milk and rum syrup: mix all ingredients.
Make meringue:
In a small pan, bring to boil sugar and water. Once the syrup starts boiling, start whipping egg whites. When the syrup reaches "soft ball" stage (235F, 113C), with the mixer running, slowly pour it into the egg whites. Continue whipping until cool (ab 5 min). The meringue should be smooth and glossy.
Assemble cake:
Place cake on a plate with slightly raised sides (to catch any syrup that may seep from the cake). Trim the brown top off. Slowly pour the milk syrup on the cake until all is absorbed. Cover top and sides with meringue. Serve with raspberries if desired.
Comments
Post a Comment